Where Are The Specifics ?
Below is a partial transcript of the now infamous video of Romney speaking to supporters at a gathering at a supporters house
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the President no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax …
“My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”
First, I take extreme offense at Romney’s statements.
As a percent of my income, I pay a higher tax rate than Romney.
I have taken ‘personal responsibility’ for my life. Forty-five years in the work force, paying taxes and into Social Security. Twenty-one of those years were spent in the service of my country in the U. S. Navy. Draft-dodger Romney couldn’t find the time to serve his country, no, he had to serve his church in France.
Well, here is where I come down on the Obama vs Romney situation
- I do not believe that the wealthy are paying their fair share.
- Raise the top marginal tax rate to 80%.
- Restore Glass-Steagall. Separate commercial banks from investment banks.
- Keep Medicare just the way it is. I love it.
- Drastically reduce defense spending. The US spends more on defense than the rest of the world combined.
- Eliminate welfare for the oil and coal companies.
- Spend more on renewable energy sources.
h/t to The War Room with Jennifer Granholm for the bullet points.
I am waiting for, but not expecting, Gov Romney to get specific on his presidency would solve the problems the US faces.
I’m not going to hold my breath.